How does one source pinned translations for reproducible release tarballs?
Bruno Haible
bruno at clisp.org
Wed Sep 30 15:21:59 UTC 2026
[Adding bug-gettext in CC.]
Alexander Sosedkin wrote:
> >What I can do is provide a backup tarball at the TP, every
> >month. A backup script runs for this purpose already, making
> >a backup for each team, so it's easy to add a separate line
> >for gnulib. I've created an example tarball at:
> >
> > https://translationproject.org/backups/2026-09/gnulib.tgz
> >
> >Instead of fetching the latest PO files from the TP, GnuTLS
> >would fetch the gnulib.tgz backup tarball of the preceding
> >month from the TP. Would that be useful?
>
> Yes, very much yes.
> If translations would be retrievable in form of a stable snapshots,
> that'd solve my problem entirely,
> and one month seems like a reasonable interval to me.
>
> I just wanna note I'm after the gnutls ones, not the gnulib ones.
Still, I don't think it's worth to add such complexity in the TP
(and, for other packages, to Weblate):
If a package wants to have the PO files for a maintenance release
on a branch, this approach would make it necessary to give the TP
the information about the branch date.
It is simpler to have the PO files in git (in a normal directory,
not a submodule). This way, the branching applied to the git repository
*automatically* applies to the PO files. No other complexity. Just
don't run 'po-fetch' on a maintenance branch — that's all a maintainer
needs to remember.
Bruno
More information about the rb-general
mailing list