diffoscope 164 released 💠
chris at reproducible-builds.org
Fri Jan 8 16:45:57 UTC 2021
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of
version 164 of diffoscope.
diffoscope tries to get to the bottom of what makes files or
directories different. It will recursively unpack archives of many
kinds and transform various binary formats into more human-readable
form to compare them. It can compare two tarballs, ISO images, or PDF
just as easily.
Version 164 includes the following changes:
[ Chris Lamb ]
* Truncate jsondiff differences at 512 bytes lest they consume the entire page.
* Wrap our external call to cmp(1) with a profile (to match the internal
* Add a note regarding the specific ordering of the new
[ Dimitrios Apostolou ]
* Performance improvements:
- Improve speed of has_same_content by spawning cmp(1) less frequently.
- Log whenever the external cmp(1) command is spawn.ed
- Avoid invoking external diff for identical, short outputs.
* Rework handling of temporary files:
- Clean up temporary directories as we go along, instead of at the end.
- Delete FIFO files when the FIFO feeder's context manager exits.
[ Mattia Rizzolo ]
* Fix a number of potential crashes in --list-debian-substvars, including
explicitly listing lipo and otool as external tools.
- Remove redundant code and let object destructors clean up after themselves.
[ Conrad Ratschan ]
* Add a comparator for Flattened Image Trees (FIT) files, a boot image format
used by U-Boot.
Version 164 is available from Debian unstable as well as PyPI, and
will shortly be available on other platforms surely. More details can
be found here:
â¦ but source tarballs may be located here:
The corresponding Docker image may be run via (for example):
$ docker run --rm -t -w $(pwd) -v $(pwd):$(pwd):ro \
registry.salsa.debian.org/reproducible-builds/diffoscope a b
diffoscope is developed within the "Reproducible builds" effort.
- Git repository
- Docker image, eg.
- Issues and feature requests
- Contribution instructions (eg. to file an issue)
â¬ â¬ Chris Lamb
o o reproducible-builds.org ð
More information about the rb-general