diffoscope 147 released 💠
chris at reproducible-builds.org
Thu Jun 11 12:04:15 UTC 2020
The diffoscope maintainers are pleased to announce the release of
version 147 of diffoscope.
diffoscope tries to get to the bottom of what makes files or
directories different. It will recursively unpack archives of many
kinds and transform various binary formats into more human readable
form to compare them. It can compare two tarballs, ISO images, or PDF
just as easily.
Version 147 includes the following changes:
* New features:
- Add output from strings(1) to ELF binaries. It is intended this will
expose expose build paths that are hidden somewhere within the objdump(1)
output. (Closes: reproducible-builds/diffoscope#148)
- Add basic zsh shell tab-completion support.
* Bug fixes:
- Prevent a traceback when comparing a PDF document that does not contain
any metadata, ie. it is missing a PDF "/Info" stanza.
- Fix compatibility with jsondiff 1.2.0 which was causing a traceback and
log the version of jsondiff we are using to aid debugging in the future.
- Fix an issue in GnuPG keybox handling that left filenames in the diff.
- Don't mask an existing test name; ie. ensure it is actually run.
- Log all calls to subprocess.check_output by using our own wrapper utility.
* Code improvements:
- Replace references to "WF" with "Wagner-Fischer" for clarity.
- Drop a large number of unused imports (list_libarchive,
- Don't assign exception to a variable that we do not use.
- Compare string values with the equality operator, not via "is" identity.
- Don't alias an open file to a variable when we don't use it.
- Don't alias "filter" builtin.
- Refactor many small parts of the HTML generation, dropping explicit
u"unicode" strings, tidying the generation of the "Offset X, Y lines
modified" messages, moving to PEP 498 f-strings where appropriate, etc.
- Inline a number of single-used utility methods.
Version 147 is available from Debian unstable as well as PyPI, and
will shortly be available on other platforms surely. More details can
be found here:
… but source tarballs may be located here:
The corresponding Docker image may be run via (for example):
$ docker run --rm -t -w $(pwd) -v $(pwd):$(pwd):ro \
registry.salsa.debian.org/reproducible-builds/diffoscope a b
diffoscope is developed within the "Reproducible builds" effort.
- Git repository
- Docker image, eg.
- Issues and feature requests
- Contribution instructions (eg. to file an issue)
⬋ ⬊ Chris Lamb
o o reproducible-builds.org 💠
More information about the rb-general